Thursday, November 18, 2004

Are you Rajesh/Ramakant?

Since I came to CA, I have been asked this question atleast 3-4 times while I was roaming in the aisle of Albertson or Fry's Electronics. These are Indian people who are doing some chain marketing type of thing and are in search of new people to join their "business". They initiate contact with questions like "Are you Rajesh?" or "Are you from Mumbai?". Now I don't have any problem with anyone doing any such business, but if I am not interested in it, please don't call me again and again to see if I want to attend your next meeting. These people are unbelievable. I know a guy who called me atleast 10 times for this, each time getting the same answer: no (He was in my college back in India, so I gave him my number. That was a mistake in the first place).

Back at UIUC, I had attended one of their "conventions" in Rochester. I knew I wasn't going to join. It was summer and the all my friends at the university were away (either in India or doing their internships). I was damn bored and decided to go there with a group of people from my university because they were also going to go to Niagara falls. The trip to Niagara falls was great, but the convention was a real waste of time. It was simply brain washing and there were a bunch of students who were ready to spend 2-3 evenings of their time doing this business (trying to convince other people to join). I don't know how a grad student can devote so much time to this. I would rather do my work or just relax. Anyway, the next 2 days, I used to go with the group to the place where the convention was held, and sneak out and roam around in Rochester downtown.

I cannot run after people trying to get them in when they are so reluctant. Its so demeaning. I think I am better off focusing on my job rather than pursuing an additional source of income.

I got up today at 11:30 in the morning again. Whats wrong with me? I am still feeling sleepy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home