Saturday, November 20, 2004

First person shooters

At work yesterday, I has to run some benchmarks for the newly released Half-Life2 game. Its a first person shooter, and I am really uncomfortable with them. That environment itself makes me dizzy after 10-15 seconds. My head starts spinning and I get an uneasy feeling in my stomach. My first encounter with these games was when I was in my second year (sophomore) at COEP (PIET now). It was a Quake demo, and I remember I played the entire demo for about an hour. After I was done, I literally went flat on the floor for 15 mins before I could get up. It was then that I realized that these games were not for me.

Somewhere in between I forgot that. Just 2 months back, I had sold my laptop and went to Circuit City to get a TV and DVD player. I saw an XBOX there, and for some reason I decided to get that instead of the DVD player (XBOX can play DVD's). I also purchased a copy of Microsoft's Halo, a first person shooter. I came home all excited, setup the TV and the XBOX and started playing. 10 minutes into the game and I again had that dizzy feeling that I had forgotten about. Well, that was it. I immediately packed the XBOX and returned it the same day, and got a real DVD player instead.

Games that work best for me are strategy games (like Commandos, Cesar, Command and Conquer) . Anyway I am not at all into gaming, so it does not matter. On that subject, I also remember that in my second year, I had wasted a lot of time playing Prince of Persia. Even before the exams. I had almost got myself failed. At that time, I had decided I will not work for any company that develops games. However, here I am, working for a company that makes most of its profit because of the gaming industry. Well, who cares...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home