Tuesday, January 25, 2005

A nice and challenging hike

I tried to fall asleep, but there is some "domestic argument" going on in the apartment above me (I don't understand Chinese or Japanese, but I can tell from the tone of the women...) which is making it difficult. So spending some time here.

As I said in my previous post, I was planning to go to the hike at Fremont Older Space on Sunday. Again, I was able to reach in time at the meeting spot from where we (me, Gautam, Mandar, and Amita) carpooled to the place (it has very few parking spots). There we were joined by Vaishali, Laxmi, and Pankaj. For Desi Hikers, 7 is a very decent turnout. We thought its a 5 mile hike with some (but not too much) elevation, but it turned out to be quite a challenge. It was much more uphill than downhill, and was probably longer than 5 miles. Took us 4.5 hours to complete it, and that was at a decent pace. The nice thing (apart from the challenge) was that after 11:00 am, the sun had come up and we had a great view with lush green mountains on all sides, and a lake in between (and Mandar says he saw deer). And the weather was ideal for any outdoor activity. Towards the end, there was a long uphill trail, and everyone was wondering whether we were lost and were we ever going to reach back to the starting point. But finally we did, with sweat trickling from the hair and shoes and pants covered in mud. Overall, its a very good place to hike. One thing that I realized is that I should always keep a spare pair of shoes in my car, so that I don't have to wear the dirty ones after the hike. So I am now always keeping my hiking shoes in the car. That way, even if I forget to wear them for a hike, I can change before I start.

Vaishali mentioned that her NYR is to hike every weekend. Now that's an interesting resolution. But since resolutions are meant to be broken, I cannot say or write...lets be tacit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home