Thursday, December 16, 2004

Of movies...

Every once in a while, I find a nice piece of work that I had been neglecting before for various reasons. The Shawshank Redemption would be one of those. I remember trying to watch this movie twice before, but somehow I felt it dull both times (or maybe I wasn't listening to the dialogs at all) and so didn't watch it. Being written by Stephen King, I somehow though it was a horror movie. Today, while browsing the net, I was suddenly reminded of Forrest Gump, so I typed it in google and started reading some review somewhere. Seems Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption were competing with Forrest Gump for the Academy awards (best picture?). Anyway, I read some very good reviews for Shawshank and decided to rent it. And I have to agree, its an amazing movie, one of the best I have seen lately. Tag line is: Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free. If you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend it.

A few days ago, I also saw Aaitraz (Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor, and Priyanka Chopra), whose story is motivated by Disclosure (Michael Douglas, Demi Moore). The adaptation is okay overall, but the acting was not at all strong and the hero and heroin went through their "crisis" period rather calmly. The traditional hero in our Hindi films is one who is not at all afraid of any difficult situation he finds himself in and his wife is always there on his side. Thats an idealistic view which I don't agree with. I would have preferred them to be like normal people (the hero may get confused, depressed, afraid etc, increased distance between him and his wife initially, and then things come together). The movie didn't devote enough time for the crisis to "soak in", never a serious talk between the hero and his wife. Its like they were mentally prepared for this all along. You know what I mean. A weak hero who builds up courage over time and stands up would have been more appealing...Anyway, its *much* better than all the sleazy Hindi flicks you see these days.

PS: I saw Shawshank again twice before returning the DVD. Somehow, I liked it very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home