Thursday, November 25, 2004

Why I am aggressive and why I hate QuickStar people

A friend was surprised by my aggressiveness in the previous posts (I was more of a timid and shy person back in COEP I guess). That's because I have been badly bitten because of this habit of plagiarizing other peoples matter, making Summer 2003 a pretty miserable time.

I was enrolled in three classes in Spring'03: Compiler Construction, Computer Architecture, and a course on dynamic/runtime optimizations. I had come up with an original idea for the dynamic optimization class project and was doing great in all the classes. Almost. I had a friend (an acquaintance from Pune) who was also enrolled in the compiler class, and he used to ask me some difficulties about our programming assignments. I explained him some stuff 2-3 times, and one day I got a distraught phone call from him. The assignment was due in 2 days and the dude was apparently having trouble handling a bizarre case. I tried to explain, but it was difficult over the phone. Also, I was eager to get back to my project (I had found something interesting). The dude asked: "Can you send your files to me? Just to look?". My mistake, in a hurry, I agreed. I got a thank you email after 2 days.

The day when our grades were to be assigned, I was delighted to find an A+ in architecture and an A in the dynamic optimization class. But I had not been assigned the compiler grade. I went to check with the professor, and he said that they had caught me cheating. Told me that my files and that dude's files were the same. I was totally shocked. You try to help someone and this is what you get. I was at fault too I agree. It was not difficult to convince the prof. that I was the one who wrote the code. The prof said "Normally I would fail anyone in such a case, but since the your code is well written and you have excellent grades in your exams, I'll give you a B+ grade. Its unfortunate because you had topped the class and could have received an A+ grade". Mind you, this happened over a period of a month, and I always had this constant anxiety of whether it will be a C (fail) or B or whatever. My research was adversely affected. And I lost my 4.0 GPA because of this stupid mistake (4.0 has its own charm).

We had done such things constantly at COEP, and most of the times, without any trouble. But I have learned the hard way how bad this habit is.

As an aside, the dude in question had several times followed me during that semester to get me join QuickStar, the chain marketing thing that I mentioned in my previous post. Wouldn't he have been better off focusing on his assignments and getting them done by himself instead of attending these QuickStar meetings? By correlation, I somehow have a bad feeling about anyone in this business (apologies if you are one of them) and I spite them. Or atleast I don't want to develop any friendship or acquaintance with them...

2 Comments:

Blogger J Ramanand said...

Rahul, I'm actually proud that you did such things because no one can tell you that you were wrong.
I agree that we had a lot of bad habits during our engg and some of it were pretty shameful. I wish you luck in your attempts to maintain your integrity in such situations.

November 26, 2004 at 3:04 AM  
Blogger Rahul said...

Thanks Ramanad...

November 28, 2004 at 6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home