Tuesday, December 06, 2005

No more Natalie please!

This is just one example of how narrow the coverage of the US news media can be. For the last 2-3 weeks, whenever I switch to CNN, MSNBC, or Fox news, someone is invariably covering the disappearance of Natalie Holloway in Aruba. It amazes me that so many people are covering this story when there are many more important things to cover and so many other people have been missing. What happened to the investigation of the the big oil for price fixing? Or of them lying to the congressional committee?

Anyway, I'm happy that my apartment complex provides free cable. And after having watched The Simpsons and the South Park for some time now, I find myself more and more watching the news channels over the sitcoms. Anderson Cooper on CNN and Scarborough Country on MSNBC are good ones. And on the lighter side, Jon Stewarts The Daily Show and The Colbert Report stand out.

As for new music, Enya is on the favourite list, especially these songs:
  • Along meadow streams
  • Amarantime
  • Paint the sky with stars
  • Its in the rain
  • Wild child

My initial attempt to read George Orwell's 1984 has failed after some initial success. The book has been lying around for 3 weeks now, and I havent thouched it yet. It was an interesting book, but you need to maintain the continuity. I'll return it to the library, and pick it up again after some time now. Anyway, I have started reading R. K. Narayan's More Tales from Malgudi, which is quite different from my usual political/thriller taste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home